There are so many words in English which are very similar and we often confuse and make some mistakes which are sometimes very serious. So it is very important to know about the difference that these words and how they change the meaning by just changing one or few letters of the word. It is very important to know these differences as there are so many words that are pronounced same but differ in spelling.
- Affect and effect: these two words are often confusing so many don’t know that difference between these two words. The word “Affect” is something that occurs before and the result of that is “effect”. If something affects us, it had an effect on us.
- Amoral and immoral: Amoral means without morals and immoral is breaking the moral code. For a baby, the wrong things they do are amoral but if a criminal does a wrong thing then he is immoral.
- Adherence and adhesion: Adherence is giving support regarding a belief or opinion. Adhesion is physical sticking of one thing to another. Gum has the property of adhesion.
- Childish and childlike: “childlike” is an emotional neutral term which is praise. Childish on the other hand implies that the person is concerned about the knowledge of the person which has a pejorative meaning.
- Compliment and complement: There is a small difference between these two words. “i” is replaced with “e” but this makes a large difference. Compliment is similar to a commend or praise officially. Complement is to complete or fill. Adding a leader complements the team.
- Continuous, contiguous and contagious: Continuous is nothing but persisting in work or activity. Contiguous is next or together in sequence. Contagious is spreading directly or indirectly. Example of contiguous is “Himalayas are contiguous mountains”. Example of contagious is “cholera is a contagious disease”.
- Discreet and discrete: This is an important difference to identify as they are pronounced similarly. Discrete is nothing but not continuous and occurs in certain intervals. Discreet is used to refer to a person who keeps his work secret and doesn’t want to show or display to the world and make everyone to know about what he is doing.
English is an international language. At present, it is spoken by a sixth of the world population. It is such an important language. People from all over the world are doing all they can to learn this language. Language is a tool of communication. Without language, we cannot understand each other. It enhances cohesion in communities. Learning English in the past was quite a struggle. When need arose you had to travel to an English speaking country to learn English. Now English can be learnt at home. The internet brings English learning right into your home. It is cheap and efficient.
You can learn English online as will benefit your life. For example if you are a beginner and you want to learn English as a second language, there are modules for that. This makes easier for you. Native speakers of English prepare the modules. This is in case you want to have the native speaker’s accent and pronunciation. The modules include the alphabet, which is the starting point. You can practice speaking by use of the audio lessons. Here there are texts that are read for you. There will be a pause to allow you to repeat what has been said.
Learning English Online As Will Benefit Your Life
In addition, you can learn English to improve your career. Your life will benefit from this. There are jobs that require one to be well conversant with the English language. Such careers may involve communication with English speaking customers. You may need to do presentations in English to business associates. Learning English online is tailor made. We have English for specific purposes. Learning English online will give you a variety of choices to benefit your life. Finally should you need to relocate to an English speaking country learning English online will be beneficial.
Some people believe English came by historical chance and is not their native language. But because it’s a recognised and widely-used language books have conferred much importance on it.
Language skill is a challenge to many. Reading books has helped many to learn English But nobody, inclusive of learners included, read trite sentences. Sentence construction, poor grammar, flow and balance are the key areas to concentrate on. Itchy hands that enable you to read anything that written in English gives you confidence in English. You have to love books.
Even if you start with the most basic book, new words come up. You can rely in contextual meaning other than using a dictionary. It is not exciting to look up meanings each and every time. You won’t make a step. This might beat you hard but read to understand and get the sentence structure, how the stories are weaved. Books have superb sentence structure.
It is not a crime to read and re read a sentence. Repetition helps you to put thoughts together, do the digestion then deliver the fine print.
A book is supposed to stimulate the mental state of a reader. Jot down the new words you come across. What you write in black and white easily sticks on the brain. So don’t start with complex levels. After all we read to understand and if you struggle to read a complex introduction of a book and you can’t just get it, then it is a bad start. Those high level books are absolute discouragement.
Make it a routine to read books. Do it at dawn when the mind is fresh, before you go to sleep or during lunch breaks. Settle for a book of your interest. There is motivation in reading a favorite book.